Wednesday, 4 November 2020

Spotless

Hubs and I recently made the mistake of looking through old posts on Instagram. 

It was prompted by Winnipeg-based band The Watchmen on social media asking, "What was the last concert YOU saw before everything got crazy?"

The last concert I went to pre-pandemic that I absolutely loved was Queen + Adam Lambert in Vancouver in July 2019. July!? That's more than a year ago.

But there was also so much that happened after that: more live concerts and shows, get-togethers with friends, the worldwide climate change rally, a quick stop in Quebec - and a bucket-list trip to Antarctica that had been almost two years in the making. 

Looking at these posts (plus being constantly bombarded by unsolicited "memories" on Instagram and Facebook), we were reminded that - hey, we actually used to do stuff! We had a life that was fun and exciting and worth living! 

And now? Meh.

It's still hard to fathom how quickly life has changed.

©1999-2020 Urban Dictionary
A "Generation C" label is being batted around at the moment, to define those born after January 1, 2020. The Urban Dictionary definition proffers that this group will be "socially awkward...born into a world tangled with problems and chaos." 

But I feel like these kids may be at an advantage to those, like us, who had the opportunity to experience life pre-COVID. After all, they'll never have to mourn the loss of outdoor festivals or concerts. Public gatherings? What are those? Shopping for groceries without having to wear a mask? Unbelievable! Travelling to international destinations by flying in an airplane? Wow, incredible!

I mean, look at The Walking Dead. I know it's a TV show, but Rick's daughter Judith has never known a life without zombies - and just look at how well adjusted she is! (I'm being totally serious, if that wasn't clear.) 

I dunno. Having to grieve these losses and live through pandemic times makes me wonder if we would be better off if we could just "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" this business. Wipe it all clean, I say. Better to just forget what life used to be like. 

...or am I wrong? Change my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment