For a few weeks now, I've been trying to think of something positive to write about. But let's face it y'all: that's just not my forte. (Why is misery more interesting to write about than happiness?)
I feel like there is a thoughtful, philosophically-minded post about that in me somewhere... but will leave that for another time. For now, here is my current go-to when trying to be positive: three good things from this last quarter of a very, very shitty fiscal year i.e. March last year to March this year.
1. We made it to the end of a March Madness tournament!
As you know, I am a big fan of this tournament, and wrote extensively about its (and other sports') cancellation last year signaling the end of normal times. But - here we are. After last year's entire tournament cancelled because of COVID-19, this year's contest is nearly complete, with the final men's game to be played this evening between the Baylor Bears and the undefeated Gonzaga Bulldogs.
The men's tournament has had its share of drama, with VCU having to withdraw in the first round due to positive cases just hours before their first game, the first weekend of the tournament seeing the most upsets prior to the round of 16 in tournament history, and that Final Four matchup between Gonzaga and UCLA that is set to go down in the record books as one of the greatest tournament games of all time.
Poor UCLA! They had such an amazing tournament run. But after seeing that 3-point buzzer beater by Suggs, how can
anyone not think this Gonzaga team isn't bound for destiny?
In short, after having last year's tournament cancelled outright, I have felt all the feels during this year's March Madness, and will certainly be tuning in to the final tonight. (Go Zags!)
2. Hubs and I went on a date (a real one, where we left the apartment and everything!) after I politely told my workplace to suck it.
I had more irritations with work last week. My request for four days of time off around the Easter long weekend was denied, despite others being able to take a whole week off during spring break. Not only that, but I was then asked to be on-call this long weekend. The reason? "This week and next will be incredibly busy, so unfortunately not the right time for days off. We are going to need you!" (Spoiler alert: there is never a "right" time, and especially not in health care during a pandemic.)
So, yah. I could really get into a whole lot of nuances around this, particularly after I was asked to cancel time off last Christmas, and being granted time off in January only because I burned out and had a breakdown in front of one of the directors, but I will leave it at this: the f*cking nerve of them. But a counsellor helped put it all into perspective: my well-being and mental health need to come first.
![]() |
| Imagine Van Gogh presented in Image Totale |
Months ago, hubs and I bought tickets to Imagine Van Gogh, with an entry time on a workday, for what one would typically consider a reasonable time after work. Now, we weren't about to give up our tickets for anything, but I won't lie: after the way I've been treated these past four months, it felt really good to say, "I have a hard stop today and will not be available to work any overtime this evening." Boundaries, friends. A small win, but an important one, I think. I signed off completely, went to the event with my husband, we picked up some food for an outdoor picnic dinner afterwards, and life almost felt normal again.
3. Walking.
After what has turned out to be a fairly complex injury with my left foot, I am walking almost 100% normally again! Being an urban dweller, I'm accustomed to walking to get around town, run errands, etc. But it's been a hard go since the fall (ha, "fall" - double entendre, get it?), and not being very mobile for months.
I'm not yet back to running, but since I seem so close to it in my rehabilitation, I've signed up for the BMO Vancouver Marathon Virtual Race in May... and was conservative about it, choosing a 5k distance, instead of anything longer. If it came down to it, I know I can at least walk that distance so could finish the race that way - but am hoping to actually run it. Keeping my fingers crossed, and my physio tab open.

No comments:
Post a Comment