I'm not the most prolific reader, but I think I do okay. In 2020, I read a total of 19 novels. As context, this tied with the 19 books I read in 2019, but did not best my all-time high of 30 books in 2018. (Disclaimer: I read a lot of graphic novels that year - shorter books do make it easier to boost the numbers.)
All this to say, I don't think the pandemic had that much of an effect on how much I read in 2020, although I feel like it contributed in some small way to what I was choosing to read. Judging from my list below, rather than anything too serious, I definitely leaned towards lighter fare, such as books made into TV or movies. However, at times it looked like I was just all over the place with my book choices last year.
Here are my very quick reviews and thoughts on whether to read or stay away from these books. Here they are, in order of completion:
Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World – and Why Things Are Better Than You Think by Hans Rosling
Hopeful. Worth a read. A bit of a sad one as well, as the author has since passed away.
The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver
Had seen the movie, but never read the book - which is why I landed on this. Rewatched the movie not long after. Book is better, by far.
Good Behavior by Blake Crouch
Powerhouse actress Michelle Dockery and the enthralling Juan Diego Botto star in this TV show, streaming on Crave. Good remake of the book. With such a strong cast, I actually preferred the show to the book in this instance - but I appreciate Blake Crouch's writing and style. More on him later.
![]() |
| Sandra Bullock in Bird Box © Variety |
Amazing. Page-turner. Read it. Obviously a very dramatic and suspenseful movie, as well.
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
I ugly cried through this whole movie. The book? Less so. But there's no denying Jonathan Safran Foer's brilliant writing style. Definitely worth reading.
A Dog's Promise by Bruce W. Cameron
Lighthearted and fun, like all of the other stories in this franchise - whether book or film. A nice read if you're looking for something fluffy.
The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern
Hands down, my favourite book of the year and - IMHO - the superior book to The Night Circus, Erin Morgenstern's first published work. So unique! Although others may say, "No plot!" My advice: read it and judge for yourself.
Do You Mind If I Cancel? by Gary Janetti
A few laughs, but generally not worth your time. This was a real let-down for me, considering the author has also written for Family Guy, and executive-produced Will and Grace.
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
You've all read this, right? I actually just found this... okay. Controversial, I know. But undeniably a classic so probably worth reading if you, by chance, have not read this yet.
White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin DiAngelo
I was trying to lean into educating myself about issues being faced by people of colour so when I read this I thought it was okay, but have also since discovered many criticisms of this book and why it is problematic. In hindsight, if I could have a do-over, I would have chosen an author like Ta-Nehisi Coates or Ibram X. Kendi, instead. Long story short: skip this one... unless you're curious as to why it is problematic.
Recursion by Blake Crouch
This is a mindf*ck, but in the best way possible. I'm not sure where Blake Crouch got this idea from, but I appreciate. Would definitely recommend.
The Friend Zone by Abby Jimenez
Another light book, this time of the romance variety (only one graphic sex scene, that I can recall). Would be a good beach read - you know, if we were able to travel to a hot beach destination right now.
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
I first read this around 2013 or so, and decided it was time for a re-read - this time, the anniversary edition with Neil Gaiman's preferred text. So good... also, and somewhat sadly, vastly superior to the TV show. Skip the show, read the book. Fo' sho'.
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
I read this one and then watched the movie in preparation for the release of the Netflix series, Ratched. Great book. Classic movie. Ratched was... just okay.
Lovecraft Country by Matt Raff
Once again, at the risk of being controversial, I didn't love this book. I also didn't love the TV series. They both have their moments, but all in all, I say: pass on both of them!
Younger by Pamela Redmond Satran
Dog shit. Don't bother. The TV show Younger, however, is great. Darren Star is good at what he does.
Codename Villanelle by Luke Jennings
This is the genesis of the hit TV show, Killing Eve. Bit of a cliffhanger ending, but there are apparently more books in the series - which I am planning to read this year!
Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men by Caroline Criado Perez
Definitely worth a read by everyone. Didn't love Caroline Criado Perez's writing style - a bit too academic, repetitive and inflammatory for me - but the message is good.
Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh
I mentioned Allie Brosh and her work at length in a previous post so all I will say here is: read it!
![]() |
| Allie Brosh |
What did you read last year?
One last thing...
A couple of honourable - and perhaps, overdue - mentions. Props to Gabriel García Márquez for Love in the Time of Cholera inspiring the title of this blog overall, and The Kids in Hall for inspiring the title of this blog post. Isn't all art just so derivative??



No comments:
Post a Comment